South Scotland Regional MSP Colin Smyth is looking for an enthusiastic individual to join his team as a full-time Researcher, based primarily within the Scottish Parliament.
To provide rapid, accurate and detailed research on a wide range of devolved policy issues to deliver written and oral briefings as required, along with proactively engaging internal and external expertise.
Duties and Responsibilities
-Preparing and delivering regular briefings and updates for the MSP to assist them in the preparation of speeches and Parliamentary Questions.
-Drafting letters to interest groups and to constituents in response to policy inquiries, as required;
-Maintaining the highest standards of accuracy in your own work;
-Obtaining, understanding, analysing, presenting and communicating the required information and statistics. This will sometimes require rapid familiarisation with new subject areas;
-Liaising with other elected representatives in the region and beyond and with other colleagues in the Scottish Parliament and elsewhere;
-Liaising with think-tanks, NGOs and other external groups;
– Other duties in support of the MSP carrying out their parliamentary duties as required;
– Supervising/line managing staff as appropriate.
Skills and experience
– Excellent research and writing skills reflecting attention to detail
– Good communication and people skills
– Politically aware
– Strong organisational skills and the ability to prioritise tasks
– Be a team player but able to lead on some tasks and work very much to their own initiative
– A working knowledge of standard office practices and computer packages such as MS Office
– A relevant degree
– Prior research experience
– Knowledge of Scottish Politics
– A full UK driving license would be beneficial
Salary will be between £22,777 and £29,447 based on skills/experience
Applicants should send their CV along with a cover letter, using the subject “Application – Researcher”, to email@example.com and cc it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Expected to be held mid-August in Edinburgh or Dumfries – although we will try to be flexible if necessary.
5pm on Monday 31 July 2017
To apply please see: http://www.mspjobs.scot/job/colin-smyth-msp-holyrood-edinburgh-3-researcher/